Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Why 'hope' is not what you want

I saw a sign yesterday in a window of a store as I drove by. It was an older campaign poster of President Obama, and the word 'HOPE' under it.

We've all seen those, and I think the same thing now as I did then. Hope is a whimsical, non-element that does very little practical good. This isn't a rant against our President, but I did have to think for a second, 'What has 'hope' gotten us?'

I've always spoke against 'hope', and what it is that you really need for succeeding in life. You need 'belief' or you need 'faith'.

If we compare the differences, 'belief and faith' are a strong foundation for achievement. 'Hope' is an airy, touchy-feely, heart-massagy, thing that might keep you warm at night, but it is not a basis for succeeding at anything.

What sounds more reassuring to you; 'I hope someone finds us', or 'I believe they will be coming'; 'I hope I make it to the other side of the desert', or 'I have faith I'll make it to the other side'; 'I hope you succeed' or 'I believe you will succeed'? Christians don't 'hope' the Lord will come, they 'believe'.

Hoping for something is, well, hoping. Having faith is having an inner conviction that it will happen.

You don't base a financial plan, sports strategy, or survival on 'hope'. You plan, you prepare, and you believe you will succeed. Believing gives you an inner confidence to build on. Believing in yourself allows you to win.

I have faith that you will!

Best of Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment