Sunday, April 3, 2011

What Can the Gym Tell Us About People?

Back to the gym today after taking a couple planned weeks off.


As I was getting ready to use one of the workout areas, I noticed that someone else had left the bar and weights in the area. Since it's rude to remove another person's weights and use the space, at least without asking, I looked around to see if anyone was in fact working out there.


The gym was basically dead at 0500 with only two other people working out. One was with me and I knew she was not the source of the gear being left on the equipment. The other person was on the treadmill and it was highly unlikely he was the source of this situation.

This reminded me about a great lesson in life that so many people ignore as they traipse around during the day in their own little self-absorbed world - our actions affect others. Unfortunately, these idiotic actions by others show that a lot of people just don't care.


Every time I'm done working out on each piece of equipment, I put it back to the way it was when I got there - empty. I don't even leave a small amount of gear on the equipment thinking, as some do, 'anyone can do that amount of weight'. Some people can't. So I put it back.


Every time you don't clean up after yourself, whether it's at home, at work, or at the gym, someone else has to do it. You are basically saying, 'Be my servant. Clean up after me. I am better than you.' It's not just about at the gym. It's about being courteous everywhere. Sure you might get away with it for a while, but in short order everyone will 'have your number' and have no interest in associating with you.


This also goes for 'working in' on someone else's equipment at the gym. First, ask if they will let you. If they do, then put the machine or gear back to the way it was - the way the other person had it - when you are done with your set. Since a lot of people don't understand this, I've found myself having to say, 'Sure you can work in, and I'd like you to just make sure you put it back to the way I had it after each of your sets.' They often act offended, but here's the rule of life - 'He who has the gold, makes the rules.'


You've got two choices: I'm nice enough to let you work in; you can be nice enough to make my life as easy as possible, or, You can wait. I don't care which you choose.


I also like to say, if you want something from someone, make it as easy as possible for that person to get you what you want. If you don't, you'll often find that you'll have to do without. Treat others as you wish to be treated. You'll be amazed at the number of doors it opens for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment