Saturday, April 23, 2011

You can be right; but you could also be dead

This has nothing to do with being Republican, or conservative. I'm talking about actions taken by people.


I was reminded of this the other day when I pulled into the local grocery store parking lot. As I was passing in front of the store, an employee was sauntering across the traffic lane in his fluorescent vest.


Of course there is always the area near the entrance marked with the diagonal yellow lines and a sign mentioning something about yielding to pedestrians. In this area we are fairly aware that pedestrians have the right of way. This employee was not in that area.


Truth is, no matter where a pedestrian is, it would be hard to legally argue that they don't have the right of way. So, of course, it would be in all our best interests to yield to pedestrians whether they are in a 'walkway' or not.

That being said, there are two things about this previous incident that rub me the wrong way. 1.) His pace of movement was near incalculable because he was obviously in no hurry to gather the carts in the lot. If he was my employee, he'd be fired for moving so slow, and not giving a crap about his own safety. This brings be to point 2.) Our own safety.


It's true pedestrians have the right of way. It's also true that when a human is pitted against a moving vehicle, my money is on the vehicle.

I can't count the number of times I've seen people cross the street, in a crosswalk or not, without looking, then state, 'Well, I've got the right of way.' 


So what?!


Then there are some people who purposely walk slow across the street just to make cars slow down - morons! What if the driver truly doesn't see you?


I saw a video on TV the other day with some idiot protesters laying in front of a truck on the street. The driver didn't see them. Guess what? I suppose it's somewhat a just result for the lack of intelligence that went into that particularly stupid move. (by the way, no one died, but they did get injured)


If it comes to a showdown, if you end up dead, who cares if you are right?


So, would you rather be right, or be alive? Choose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment